The earliest mention of our congregation has it that worship took place in what is today Logierait Parish Church, where episcopal worship was to continue until after the 1745 rebellion. In 1853 a feu was taken on the Tullypowrie Estate where a stone church was constructed. A few years later the congregation moved to the lovely hillside spot where the present church is located.
In 1888 the congregation raised enough money for what is now the stone ‘chancel’ to be built “to the glory of God and in memory of Bishop Charles Wordsworth”, a nephew of the poet William Wordsworth. Bishop Charles was the Bishop of St. Andrew’s from 1853 until 1893. Previously the church had been a ‘corrugated iron’ extension to the parsonage – now ‘Aros’ – next door to the present church. The gable end of the house still shows the marks where the church was joined on.
The stone nave was added in 1919 and contains six stained glass windows by ‘Willement’, brought from a church in Kent by a previous resident of Dunellan in Strathtay.
Strathtay is one of only two local congregations which has continued without a break since the reformation, the other being in Blair Atholl.